Tuesday 21 May 2013

Desk Dilemma



You know that feeling when you just have to have exactly what you want?  Nothing else will do.  No matter how much you try to convince yourself that you'll be just as happy with other arrangements, you know you will just pine for what your heart truly wants.  Such was the case with my desktop.

I wanted a butcher block counter for my new desk area.  I had this vision of a long, sleek wood top.  Space for two people (mostly the *ahem* hard working, diligent students that live my house) to work at.  A place to store the never ending amount of stuff that comes with a family of 6.

Enter butcher block counter top prices.  My vision came to a screeching halt.  It's not cheap.  Sure, we could maybe build something for cheaper but I wanted what I wanted.  My vision needed to be realized.  My very life depended on it.  Ok, well maybe not but still....I had to have it.  So, I said to myself ( I do talk to myself on a very regular basis...come on, we ALL do.  Own it people. ) "Self, how are you going to get your hands on this desk top"?  I rolled ideas over in my mind for a while and then I thought ~ GARAGE SALE.


Even though we had regularly been bringing van loads to the local Goodwill store during our reno, I knew we still had enough stuff laying around to make a decent yard sale (because let's face it, no one wants to earn the dreaded "drive by garage sale" status) and I was willing to rip toys out of the hands of my children and the clothes off their backs to make it decent.  Kidding.  Or am I?  Muahahahaha.
So, Friday I sent my two oldest kids on foot to the Dollarama for some stickers and we went to town.  We despise clutter and so, even if we didn't make much, it sure felt good to know that so much stuff was going to be leaving our house and would not be finding its way back in.

Saturday dawned gray and dingy but we weren't going to be deterred.  I was on a mission and so out we went @ 6:15am to set up.  Being that we are on a main road, we didn't feel the need to advertise more than just the simple sign my husband *creatively* drew and placed in front of our house.  Wasn't long before the people came.  The kids had a blast, with $ signs rolling in their eyes.  Every time a stuffy or dinky car was picked up, I could see them figuring how many swedish berries they could buy with their new found wealth.  At the end of the day our tally was, drumroll please.......$285.  NICE.

Because I'm impatient and was virtually salivating at the idea of going to get my (our) desk top, I batted my eyelashes at my husband and politely asked if we could go to Ikea RIGHT NOW.  He said sure. My Henry?  He's sweet like that :)  Turns out this style of butcher block was being discontinued so the price was reduced by $50, which worked out well because I had to pick up a few more Ribba frames and a sweet little yellow bucket as well.  Oh, and a couple plants.  And 3 baskets.  Sheesh. 

Here she is.  This is her backside ~ how embarrassing.  Yes, she's a she.  I might even name her. 


I simply can.not. wait to install this beauty and start enjoying a great desk space! 

No comments:

Post a Comment